Last Updated on by Talita
13 great and different guided tours around India. Tours with a variety of prices, days, destinations, themes, age, luxury level, and adventure.
India is one of the most fascinating tourist destinations in the world, offering a wealth of cultural, historical and natural experiences that delight visitors. With an ancient history and incredible diversity, the country has something to offer for all tastes and interests.
One of India’s most famous landmarks is the Taj Mahal, an architectural marvel that attracts millions of visitors every year. Located in the city of Agra, this white marble mausoleum is a symbol of eternal love and one of the Seven Wonders of the Modern World.
India is also blessed with lush nature and stunning landscapes. In the north of the country, the region of Kashmir is famous for its picturesque lakes, mountains and valleys. Kerala’s backwaters in the south offer a peaceful and relaxing experience, while Ranthambore and Bandhavgarh National Parks are popular destinations for wildlife lovers, where you can spot tigers and other species in their natural habitat.
Indian cuisine is equally diverse and delicious, with varied dishes that vary by region. From the famous curry to the biryani, from delicious vegetarian dishes to savory sweets, Indian cuisine is a sensory experience that appeals to all palates.
However, when visiting India, it is important to keep cultural diversity in mind and the need to respect local traditions. Proper etiquette, appropriate dress and cultural sensitivity are essential when exploring this fascinating country.
From iconic monuments to stunning landscapes, vibrant festivals to delectable cuisine, India offers a unique experience that captivates and delights all who visit.
Table of Contents
- 1 Top 10 Tourist Attractions in India
- 2 Is it better to travel independently or on group tours in India?
- 3 13 Best Tours and Itineraries to Explore India
- 3.1 Best India Tours and Itineraries for Guided Small Group Adventures
- 3.2 Best India Tours and Itineraries for Groups of Young Singles (18-35 Years Old)
- 3.3 Best India luxury and comfort tours and itineraries for small groups with guides
- 3.4 Tourradar’s Best India Tours (Best site to search and compare India tours of different lengths, styles, prices, and operators)
- 4 Concluding
- 5 Planning your next trip?
Top 10 Tourist Attractions in India
Before we delve into the central theme of this text, it’s important to highlight some of the most popular tourist destinations in India, in order to provide a foundation for searching for tours, itineraries, and trips that cater to your preferences.
India is an incredible country, full of cultural, historical, and natural treasures. Below, we present a list of 10 top tourist attractions and cities that are worth visiting in India:
- Taj Mahal, Agra: This iconic white marble mausoleum is a symbol of eternal love and one of the Seven Wonders of the World. Its architectural beauty and poignant history make it an unmissable destination.
- Varanasi, Uttar Pradesh: One of the oldest cities in the world, Varanasi is an important religious center for Hindus. Along the banks of the Ganges River, visitors can witness sacred rituals and Aarti ceremonies.
- Khajuraho Temples, Madhya Pradesh: These medieval temples are known for their intricate and detailed erotic sculptures. They represent the fusion of spirituality and art.
- Jaipur, Rajasthan: Known as the “Pink City,” Jaipur is famous for its palaces, forts, and vibrant bazaars. The City Palace, Amber Fort, and Hawa Mahal are some of the must-see attractions.
- Jaisalmer, Rajasthan: Also known as the “Golden City,” Jaisalmer is famous for its sandstone fortress and intricate ornamented havelis (mansions).
- Golden Temple (Harmandir Sahib), Amritsar: The Golden Temple is the most sacred temple of Sikhism. With its golden structure and the sacred lake surrounding it, it is a site of great spiritual significance.
- Palace of the Winds (Hawa Mahal), Jaipur: This uniquely facaded palace is a distinctive landmark of Jaipur. Its lattice windows allow the wind to flow, providing a cool respite in the desert heat.
- Red Fort, Delhi: One of Delhi’s most famous landmarks, the Red Fort is an imposing red sandstone structure that houses fascinating palaces and museums.
- Ranthambore National Park, Rajasthan: A popular destination for wildlife enthusiasts, the park is known for its tiger population in their natural habitat. Safaris here offer the opportunity to spot fascinating wildlife.
- Kerala Backwaters: The tranquil and serene backwaters of Kerala offer a unique experience of cruising in houseboats known as “kettuvallams.” These trips are an opportunity to relax and appreciate the beautiful landscapes and local life.
Is it better to travel independently or on group tours in India?
Regardless of which option you choose to travel to India, whether independently or in a group tour, each has its positives and negatives.
Opting for independent travel in India gives you greater flexibility to plan your own itinerary and choose activities according to your preferences. You will be free to decide when and how to carry out activities, allowing you to explore India at your own pace. Also, this option can be more economical as you can control spending according to your choices.
However, independent travel requires detailed planning, with research into accommodation, transport and activities. You need to be prepared to deal with any challenges, such as cultural and linguistic diversity, and take extra precautions regarding security, especially in lesser-known areas.
On the other hand, a group tour with a guide offers the company of other travelers and the opportunity to meet people with similar interests. Also, traveling in a group can provide a sense of security, especially if you are accompanied by an experienced guide who knows India well.
However, this option may somewhat limit your freedom to explore India independently as you will be following a pre-determined itinerary and schedules set by the group.
In summary, the choice between traveling independently or in a group in India depends on your personal preferences. Assess your interests, time availability, budget, and comfort level when making your decision. Both options have their benefits, and the important thing is to find the one that best suits your India travel needs and desires.
|Pros of traveling on a group tour
|Pros of traveling on your own
|Company and opportunity to meet people with similar interests
|Flexibility to create your own itinerary and choose activities
|Peaceful and fun group experience
|Autonomy to follow your own schedule
|More safety when riding in a group, especially with an experienced local guide
|Freedom to explore Iceland without having to stick to a schedule
|Less need for planning and research as the tour already provides accommodation, transport and activities
|Potential savings, since depending on the choices it can be cheaper
|Possibility of access to places or activities that may be difficult or impossible to reach alone
|Greater challenge and opportunity to learn and grow with the experience of planning and conducting your own trip
13 Best Tours and Itineraries to Explore India
Best India Tours and Itineraries for Guided Small Group Adventures
1. G Adventures – Essential India (15 Days)
From the intricate saris of Rajasthan to the beautiful symmetry of the Taj Mahal, this compact journey is a photographer’s delight and the perfect introduction to India. You’ll float through the Ganges River ghats to find the spiritual heart of Hinduism in Varanasi and venture off the beaten path, exploring carved stepped wells and picturesque temples in rural villages.
With the perfect mix of included activities and free time to explore the nation’s rich heritage, you’re sure to be swept up in India’s amazing tapestry of life.
2. G Adventures – Golden Triangle (8 Days)
This short but spicy journey through India will introduce you to three very different northern cities and the colorful rural life of Rajasthan. From the hectic pace of Delhi with its bustling markets, magnificent monuments and colonial past, travel by private transport to Agra and the mesmerizing beauty of the Taj Mahal, one of the wonders of the world.
Find out why Jaipur is called the Pink City and get a taste of rural life in a Dhula village. Photography and culture lovers will not be disappointed in this classic adventure.
3. Encounters Travel – Taj to Varanasi (12 Days)
This 12-day North India tour concludes with two days exploring the Holy City of Varanasi on the banks of the Ganges River after exploring Jaipur in rural Rajasthan and Agra, home to the Taj Mahal.
This tour of India begins in the capital city, Delhi, with tours of the ancient and modern sides of this bustling city, now home to over 18 million people. Then head south into the arid state of Rajasthan, home to imposing forts and palaces, colorful saris and dazzling jewelry, and fascinating Indian history.
It includes a visit to the Amber Fort, the City Palace and the Jantar Mantar Observatory in the “Pink City” of Jaipur, the capital of Rajasthan, as well as exploring its famous craft and product fairs. Next stop is the small and remote village of Tordi, where we will stay in a converted palace and explore the village and its surroundings, truly experiencing rural Indian life.
4. Encounters Travel – North India Highlights (16 Days)
This is an intense two-week tour of North India, offering an incredible introduction to the contrasting and striking landscapes of North India, from the Himalayan hills to the arid plains of Rajasthan.
5. Intrepid – Premium India in Depth (14 Days)
From magnificent forts to wild forests and vibrant cities, Rajasthan has a lot to offer for those in search of adventure.
This 14-day Premium journey through North India reveals the best culture, landscapes and cuisine of the region, with the guidance of an experienced local leader. The legendary cities of Agra, Udaipur and Jaipur impress with their grandeur, while Mumbai and Delhi offer a true portrait of modern life.
Look for tigers in Ranthambore National Park, dine under the stars among the sand dunes of Pushkar and learn about life in Rajasthan in the homes of local families.
Best India Tours and Itineraries for Groups of Young Singles (18-35 Years Old)
6. Contiki – Eternal India (12 Days)
Old and new, color and chaos, bustling cities and lush mountain ranges… India is a wonderful cacophony that leaves an imprint on your memory long after you return home.
Ready to awaken your senses, bring your imagination to life and change your perception of the world forever? This is the trip for you.
7. Contiki – Delhi to Kathmandu Quest (10 Days)
This journey takes you from the colorful chaos of Delhi to the bustling capital of Nepal, but it’s what you see and do along the way that will stick most in your memory.
You’ll witness the Taj Mahal, meet elephants at a rescue centre, explore the mystical bazaars of Lucknow, watch the sunrise light up the holy sites of Varanasi, and spot Bengal tigers and one-horned rhinos in Chitwan National Park before you even reach Kathmandu.
Filled with adventure, spirituality, natural beauty and delicious food, this trip showcases the best of India and Nepal.
Best India luxury and comfort tours and itineraries for small groups with guides
8. Trafalgar – Uncover India: Delhi & Kerala (20 Days)
All the riches of India in one epic journey. From the captivating energy of Delhi and Mumbai to the tranquil backwaters and lingering spice aromas of Kerala.
Venture into the wilds of Ranthambore, traverse the Golden Triangle and admire India’s legendary palaces, forts and monuments along the way.
9. Trafalgar – Colours of Rajasthan With Mumbai (15 Days)
Royalty, romance and the immersive energy of Mumbai are the highlights of this journey through India. From the Golden Triangle to Rajasthan and beyond, delving into legends and legacies.
10. Insight Vacations – Classical India With Nepal (12 Days)
Embark on the journey of a lifetime as you meet the women who climbed Mount Everest in Kathmandu, step back in time to the Mughal Empire in Old Delhi and bargain for the best deals at the fragrant spice markets of Jaipur.
Enjoy a prestigious dinner at Dera Amer, a protected nature reserve near Jaipur that connects you to nature like never before, with elephants roaming freely across this vast reserve.
Travel from Jaipur to Agra, home to the famous Taj Mahal. Tour this architectural marvel and explore the nearby village of Kachhpura, where a stop at a rooftop cafe offers tea, pakora and stunning views of the Taj Mahal in the distance. In the Holy City of Varanasi, rise before dawn for a spectacular boat cruise along the Ganges River.
Tourradar’s Best India Tours (Best site to search and compare India tours of different lengths, styles, prices, and operators)
11. Tourradar – Classical South India (11 Days)
Start in Chennai (Madras) and end in Kochi (Cochin)! On this tour you have an 11-day travel package that takes you to Chennai (Madras), India, and 7 other destinations in the country. Includes hotel accommodation, an expert guide, meals, transport and more.
12. Tourradar – Ajanta and Ellora Caves: Maharashtra (4 Days)
Start and end in Aurangabad! With this tour you will get a 4 days travel package that will take you to Aurangabad, India and Ajanta. The package includes hotel accommodation, an expert guide, meals, transport and more.
13. Tourradar – Heritage Tour of India (7 Days)
Start and end in New Delhi! With this tour you have a 7 days travel package that takes you around New Delhi and 4 other destinations in India. Tour includes hotel accommodation, an expert guide, meals, transport and more.
India is a fascinating destination for those seeking cultural, spiritual and exotic experiences. With its rich historical heritage, diverse landscapes and vibrant mix of tradition and modernity, the country offers a unique and unforgettable journey.
When planning your trip to India, it is important to carry out careful research on available destinations, activities and accommodation options. Checking reviews from other travelers and getting detailed information about tour companies can help ensure a smooth and safe experience.
Whichever company you choose to organize your trip, India is sure to leave a lasting mark in your memory. Prepare to be captivated by the cultural richness, exotic flavors, enveloping aromas and warm hospitality of the Indian people.
Embark on this adventure through India and let yourself be enchanted by its vibrant colors, its deep spirituality and its cultural diversity. A journey through this unique country will truly be a transformative and unforgettable experience.
Planning your next trip?
Already reserved your hotel or hostel? If not, we recommend Booking.com. They have a huge selection of hotels and hostels all over the world. Plus, in most cases, you can cancel your reservation without any costs up to a few days before the check-in date!
Still haven’t booked your plane ticket and want to save big? Take a look at Momondo. It’s a flight aggregator that combines several other ticket search websites to make it easier for you to compare prices and make sure you are getting the best deal.
And finally, will you need to rent a car during your trip? Then check out Rentalcar.com to search and compare car rental companies from all over the world in a single website. Then, you can find the cheapest price for the best car!
Planning your next trip?