Last Updated on by Rodrigo @ OutofYourComfortZone
13 excellent and different guided tours around Indonesia. Tours with a variety of prices, days, destinations, themes, age, level of luxury, and adventure.
Indonesia is a country of incredible cultural diversity and stunning landscapes, making it one of the most popular destinations for tourism in the Southeast Asian region. Made up of more than 17,000 islands, the nation offers a rich mix of cultures, traditions and heritage, providing a unique experience for visitors.
Tourism in Indonesia is driven by a number of factors, such as idyllic beaches, majestic volcanoes, lush forests, ancient temples and abundant marine life. Bali, known as the “Island of the Gods”, is the main highlight, attracting millions of tourists every year.
For nature lovers, Indonesia offers priceless treasures, such as the Borneo jungle, home to orangutans and other endangered species, and Komodo National Park, where you can encounter the fearsome Komodo dragons. Divers are also attracted to the coral reefs of Raja Ampat Island, one of the most marine biodiverse areas on the planet.
Indonesian cuisine is an experience in itself. Local dishes are full of exotic flavors, influenced by spices and fresh ingredients. Nasi Goreng (fried rice), Satay (grilled meat skewers) and Rendang (meat cooked in coconut milk and spices) are just some of the dishes visitors must try.
Table of Contents
- 1 Top 10 Tourist Attractions in Indonesia
- 2 Is it better to travel independently or in group tours in Indonesia?
- 3 13 Best Tours and Itineraries to Explore Indonesia
- 3.1 Best Indonesia Tours and Itineraries for Guided Small Group Adventures
- 3.2 Best Indonesia Tours and Itineraries for Young Single Groups (Ages 18-35)
- 3.3 Best tours to Indonesia from Tourradar (best site to search and compare tours in Indonesia of different durations, styles, prices, and operators)
- 4 Concluding…
- 5 Planning your next trip?
Top 10 Tourist Attractions in Indonesia
Indonesia is a country filled with stunning tourist attractions, encompassing magnificent natural landscapes, rich cultural heritage, and impressive architecture. Here are 10 must-visit tourist attractions in Indonesia:
- Bali: Known as the “Island of the Gods,” Bali is famous for its white sandy beaches, picturesque Hindu temples, lush landscapes, and vibrant culture. It’s a popular destination for surfers, nature lovers, and culture enthusiasts.
- Komodo and Rinca National Park: These islands are home to the famous Komodo dragons, the world’s largest species of lizards. Visitors can go on hikes to spot these impressive reptiles in their natural habitat.
- Ubud: Located in Bali, it is a culturally rich destination known for its arts, traditional dances, palaces, and the famous Monkey Forest.
- Mount Bromo: Situated in East Java, Mount Bromo is an active volcano that offers breathtaking scenery. The sunrise seen from its summit is an unforgettable experience.
- Borobudur Temple: Located in Yogyakarta, Central Java, Borobudur Temple is a UNESCO World Heritage Site. It is the largest Buddhist structure in the world, consisting of nine platforms, and offers a spectacular view of the sunrise.
- Taman Mini Indonesia Indah National Park: Located in Jakarta, this park provides an overview of Indonesia’s diverse cultures and traditions, with replicas of buildings and pavilions from all provinces of the country.
- Prambanan Temple: Another wonder in Yogyakarta, this is a complex of Hindu temples dedicated to the Trimurti deities: Brahma, Vishnu, and Shiva. Its impressive architecture is a fascinating attraction.
- Togian Islands: Located in Central Sulawesi province, these islands are a tranquil getaway with secluded beaches, crystal-clear waters, and opportunities for diving, snorkeling, and marine wildlife watching.
- Gili Islands: These three small islands, Gili Trawangan, Gili Meno, and Gili Air, are located near Lombok. They are known for their stunning beaches, crystal-clear waters, and a relaxed atmosphere.
- Raja Ampat Island: A paradise for diving enthusiasts, Raja Ampat is famous for its crystal-clear waters, colorful coral reefs, and unparalleled marine biodiversity.
Is it better to travel independently or in group tours in Indonesia?
Regardless of the option you choose for traveling to Indonesia, whether independently or on a group tour, each has its advantages and disadvantages.
Opting for independent travel, for example, offers greater flexibility to plan your own itinerary and choose activities according to your preferences. You will have the freedom to decide when and how to do activities, allowing you to explore Indonesia at your own pace. Additionally, this option can be more cost-effective as you can control expenses according to your choices.
However, independent travel requires detailed planning, including research on accommodation, transportation, and activities. You need to be prepared to deal with potential challenges, such as language barriers, and take extra precautions regarding safety, especially in more remote areas.
On the other hand, a group tour with a guide offers the company of fellow travelers and the opportunity to meet people with similar interests. Additionally, traveling in a group can provide a sense of security, especially if you are accompanied by an experienced guide familiar with Indonesia.
However, this option may somewhat limit your freedom to explore Indonesia independently, as you will be following a predetermined itinerary and schedules set by the group.
In summary, the choice between traveling independently or in a group in Indonesia depends on your personal preferences. Evaluate your interests, time availability, budget, and comfort level when making your decision. Both options offer unique and enriching experiences in a country as diverse and charming as Indonesia.
Pros of traveling on a group tour
Pros of traveling on your own
|Company and opportunity to meet people with similar interests
|Flexibility to create your own itinerary and choose activities
|Peaceful and fun group experience
|Autonomy to follow your own schedule
|More safety when riding in a group, especially with an experienced local guide
|Freedom to explore Iceland without having to stick to a schedule
|Less need for planning and research as the tour already provides accommodation, transport and activities
|Potential savings, since depending on the choices it can be cheaper
|Possibility of access to places or activities that may be difficult or impossible to reach alone
|Greater challenge and opportunity to learn and grow with the experience of planning and conducting your own trip
13 Best Tours and Itineraries to Explore Indonesia
Best Indonesia Tours and Itineraries for Guided Small Group Adventures
1. G Adventures – Classic Bali (8 Days)
Bali, an enchanting island in Southeast Asia, offers a rich diversity of cultural and natural wonders. On this adventure, you will have the opportunity to explore its stunning beaches and temples surrounded by lush jungle.
In addition to the more well-known tourist attractions, there will be time to venture off the beaten path, where you can meet charming locals and fellow travelers alike.
The island is much more than just a sunbathing destination; the food is delicious, there’s a vibrant arts scene and a captivating culture to be discovered.
2. G Adventures – Indonesia Adventure: Java & Bali (21 Days)
This is the perfect time for a unique Java and Bali adventure, especially designed for young travelers who want to explore these wonderful Southeast Asian islands.
The itinerary will allow you to immerse yourself in the infectious energy of Jakarta, discover the beautiful waterfalls of Ubud and relax in the laid-back atmosphere of Gili Trawangan.
With generous breaks between major sights, you’ll have the freedom to enjoy culture and excitement alongside a group of like-minded travel companions.
3. G Adventures – Hammock & Hikes (14 Days)
Take this opportunity to explore Java and Bali your way, with an affordable tour especially designed for young travelers.
Breathe in the laid-back vibes of the floating villages in Cianjur, stretch your legs and hike the Ancestor Trail to Mount Bromo, before having fun in Kuta. Travel between big cities and stunning beach settings, enjoying a combination of unmissable destinations and free time so you can make the most of it all.
4. Intrepid – Jakarta to Ubud (14 Days)
Discover Indonesia from a diverse and exciting perspective during a fascinating 14-day journey departing from Jakarta and arriving in Ubud.
This adventure will allow you to explore both the current capital, Jakarta, and the cultural capital, Yogyakarta. Climb the imposing mountains of Mount Bromo and admire the spectacular views of the countryside.
Venture into the lush jungles of the Seloliman Nature Reserve in search of local wildlife. Then head to the north coast of Bali and relax on the sandy beaches of Permuteran.
5. Intrepid – Discover Lombok (8 Days)
Embark on an exciting eight-day tropical journey to Lombok, Bali’s beautiful neighbor.
You’ll have the opportunity to explore rural communities, interact with locals, and immerse yourself in fascinating Sasak culture. From Sanur, with its white sand beaches, to the relaxing vibes of Labuan Pandan and the idyllic beauty of Gili, you’ll quickly find yourself lounging by the sea on one of Indonesia’s most pristine islands.
With every organizational detail carefully taken care of, all you need to do is relax, enjoy the crystal clear waters of the Bali Sea, try the delicious array of fresh seafood and be warmly welcomed by the locals, who will share your little piece of paradise with you.
6. Intrepid – Sumatra Adventure (9 Days)
Sumatra, a stunning and wild island, is a true paradise for all adventurers.
As the sixth largest island in the world, it is home to rich biodiversity, including endangered species such as the Sumatran tiger, rhinos, elephants and the famous orangutans.
On this exciting nine-day Sumatra expedition, you’ll depart Medan for Bukit Lawang, where you’ll explore the stunning Gunung Leuser National Park. You will then head to Berastagi and have the opportunity to climb the active Sibayak volcano, enjoying spectacular panoramic views from its misty summit.
The adventure continues in Samonsir, on the shores of beautiful Lake Toba, where you will be warmly welcomed by the colorful dresses of the Christian Batak people.
Best Indonesia Tours and Itineraries for Young Single Groups (Ages 18-35)
7. Topdeck – Delve Deep: Bali & The Gili Islands (7 Days)
Bali and Gili have so much more to offer than just Bintang t-shirts and spring rolls.
Get the full paradise experience. With lush jungle landscapes, white sand beaches and rich marine life in different shapes and colors, Mother Nature really did her best in creating these destinations.
If you are looking to expand your horizons, in Canggu you can immerse yourself in the wonders of the temples, culture, local life, delicious cuisine and unforgettable experiences that these places have to offer.
Best tours to Indonesia from Tourradar (best site to search and compare tours in Indonesia of different durations, styles, prices, and operators)
8. Tourradar – Komodo Island Hopper (9 Days)
With the tour, you will have a 9-day experience that will take you through Labuhan Lombok and 8 other incredible destinations in Indonesia. This package includes comfortable accommodation, an expert guide, delicious meals, convenient transportation and more to ensure an unforgettable experience.
9. Tourradar – Ultimate Bali (9 Days)
Start your adventure in Kuta and end it on Gili Trawangan! You will have a 9-day experience that will take you to Kuta and 3 other incredible destinations in Indonesia. This package offers hotel accommodation, expert guide, meals, transportation and many other benefits to ensure you make the most of your unforgettable journey.
10. Tourradar – Best of Java (9 Days)
Start your journey in Jakarta and end in Sanur! With the tour you will have a 9-day experience that will take you through Jakarta and 4 other fascinating destinations in Indonesia. This tour offers hotel accommodation, an expert guide, food, convenient transportation and a multitude of cultural experiences.
11. Tourradar – Experience Nusa Penida Island (3 Days)
Start in Denpasar and end in Sanur! With the tour you will have a 3-day experience that will take you to Denpasar and 2 other exciting destinations in Indonesia. This all-in-one package offers accommodation, an expert guide, meals, transport and many other exciting activities to make the most of your adventure on beautiful Nusa Penida Island.
12. Tourradar – Wanderlands Gili & Lombok (7 Days)
Start your journey in Ubud and end on beautiful Lombok Island! With the tour you will have a 7-day experience that will take you through Ubud and 2 other incredible destinations in Indonesia. This package offers hotel and hostel accommodation, accompaniment by a specialized guide, meals, transportation and much more.
Start and end your journey in Yogyakarta! With the tour you will have a 5-day experience that will take you through Yogyakarta and 2 other fascinating destinations in Indonesia. This package offers hotel accommodation, guide, delicious meals, transportation and a range of cultural and immersive activities, allowing you to experience Yogyakarta in an authentic way.
With a wide variety of tour and excursion options available, it is essential to do careful research before choosing the company that best suits your needs and expectations.
Check reviews from other travelers and details of accommodations offered. This is essential to ensure a smooth and safe trip to Indonesia.
However, regardless of the company chosen, one thing is absolute: visiting Indonesia is a truly once-in-a-lifetime experience! So, get ready for an unforgettable journey and embark on this adventure across the country!
Planning your next trip?
Already reserved your hotel or hostel? If not, we recommend Booking.com. They have a huge selection of hotels and hostels all over the world. Plus, in most cases, you can cancel your reservation without any costs up to a few days before the check-in date!
Still haven’t booked your plane ticket and want to save big? Take a look at Momondo. It’s a flight aggregator that combines several other ticket search websites to make it easier for you to compare prices and make sure you are getting the best deal.
And finally, will you need to rent a car during your trip? Then check out Rentalcar.com to search and compare car rental companies from all over the world in a single website. Then, you can find the cheapest price for the best car!
Planning your next trip?